LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have recieved a notice to appear at Swansea Magistrated on

Customer Question

I have recieved a notice to appear at Swansea Magistrated on a charge of being a registered keeper of a vehicle without insurance in April 2014. I did not own this vehicle after 1st October 2013 (part exchange with a dealer) and have proof of the new owner from February 2014. Can I claim costs for the trouble caused by this action by DVLA?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Can you tell me a little more. What stage has this reached. Have you received a Notice of Intended Prosecution or a summons? Have you replied or been to court? Have you incurred any costs?

JACUSTOMER-5tv64fwm- :

I have recieved a summons to appear on 22nd October. I have not yet replied with a not guilty plea. I have incurred costs so far in: time in getting records etc, sending two letters - future will be more time, court appearance and stress.

Customer:

If you attend court and are acquitted you can apply to get your legal costs paid (although only in part) and reasonable expenses re-imbursed. I would suggest you write to the prosecuting authority pointing out their mistake, enclosing the documents and inviting them to withdraw the prosecution. You will not be able to claim eg loss of earnings while at court.

JACUSTOMER-5tv64fwm- :

I have written to DVLA twice already!

Customer:

Brilliant. I am not surprised. You will need to attend court with your documents proving that they are mistaken and copies of th elleterss you have sent. You probably don't need representation by a lawyer.