Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I need some consumer rights advice. I paid upfront for a 12

I need some consumer rights advice. I paid upfront for a 12 month parking season ticket with NCP in August, but due to recent traffic (exit from the carpark is one way system as well) plus roadworks, it's no longer the best choice. NCP allow consumers to cancel if they loose their job, are in ill health or move house but not for any other reason. I've effectively paid for two months so still have 10 months outstanding so want to know where I stand as a consumer to cancel and get some kind of refund for unused service. thanks
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Unfortunately unless NCP are prepared to exercise goodwill I do not think that consumer laws will assist you. This is because you only have the right to have a contract cancelled under the Supply of Goods and Services Act if the service is not of satisfactory quality or is not fit for it's purpose. If you are still able to use the carpark but it is less convenient for a period due to roadworks then I'm afraid the statute would not cover this as the service itself cannot be said to be of unsatisfactory quality. It is the fault of the Highways Agency not NCP. You can obviously try to run an argument that the Act would apply and that they should recover their losses from the Highways Agency and hopefully they will agree.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Many thanks for the Answer - this helps and I am looking into trying to see if they can move the season ticket to a more appropriate car park.