12826847

Hi I rented a house off an agent for 8 months whilst I had

I rented a house off an agent for 8 months whilst I had a property built. During this time the shower broke and the landlord took 2 weeks to fix it and then it broke for the last month of the tenancy and she just left it. I am a body builder and didn't fit in bath so had to shower at gym for 6 weeks. I also found out that they didn't protect my deposit and tried to hold it back. only when I discovered it was unprotected did they hastily pay it back. I want to sue for 3 times deposit (minus the deposit I have received back) and £500 for the inconvenience of no shower for 6 weeks total. my monthly rent was £1000 a month
Has the money been paid back? If so, you do have a claim but it would be irresponsible of me to tell you that you have a strong claim.
The law says that you have a claim of up to three times the sum of the deposit. It is rare that any landlords are forced to pay the full sum and if the deposit has been paid back already then it just plain won't happen I'm afraid.
You do have a claim for disrepair but it is not going to be £500 for being without a shower for 6 weeks I'm afraid. Your claim is for a reduction of the rent. Showers are obviously essentially but, quite frankly, I am afraid I would expect the court to say that a bath is available and that is all the landlord needs to provide. I realise it wasn't suitable for you but that does not change the requirements of the landlord. If you do get a payout it will be 10% of the rent sadly.
It might be that the landlord would offer more to resolve the matter so it might be worth a claim but I'm afraid you are over estimating the value of your claim.
I'm very sorry if that is bad news.