UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a 2 years contract which expired last feb and I kept

Customer Question

I have a 2 years contract which expired last feb and I kept asking the agent for renewing the contract however they keep telling don't worry it renewed automatically. However suddenly they sold the flat and asked me to move 2 months ago. Now I'm a mother with a child and I cannot find an alternative apartment at the moment yet I'm stil paying the rent. What is your legal advice ? As they want me to vacate otherwise they will make a court case?
Kind regards,
Mrs. Sami
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello.
They can only evict you if they obtain a court order asking you to vacate the property.
You not having a tenancy agreement is not a problem as your old agreement gets renewed automatically in law known as periodic tenancy.
You only have to vacate the property if the landlord obtains a court order and sends bailiffs around forcing you to leave. I would suggest that you speak to your council for help or keep trying to find another apartment. You do not need to leave until a court order is obtained and this takes a few months which will give you time to find another property.
May I help further?