UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have asked a friend if she wants to live in my home. She

I have asked a friend if she wants to live in my home. She has a ten year old daughter and will each have their own room, whilst they are living here they can treat the house as their home. My husband I still live here, we are both disabled and the future works here as a cleaner and helps my husband and occasionally myself. I will still pay her wages for the work she does, but will not charge rent, utllities or board. Somebody has told me that if she lives here for a certain amount of time she could have rights on the property. I do not believe this to be the case. Please advice Thanks Joy XXXXX

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
No, she does not acquire any rights to your property as you say. You have been incorrectly guided by this other someone.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the answere on propert, but what rights do either of us have if a few years down the road and fall out. Would I be able to evict her
Yes, you would be able to evict her as she would be classed as a lodger without any rights to live in your property as both of you also live in the same property and she would not be a tenant.
See here
https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/your-lodgers-tenancy-type
It does not matter that she doesn't pay anything for living in your property.
All the best