13262538

Thank you for your answer Clare.I would house my ex and child,

Thank you for your answer Clare.
I would house my ex and child, should I sell the buy to let house in question, and purchase another, maybe more affordable one.
My question is?;
Would I have to let my ex live in the property (which is on a buy to let mortgage) rent free (i.e she pays no rent), or would I be entitled to ask her to pay a reasonable amount of rent to cover the mortgage costs etc.?
She will be working and earning money, and I am prepared to financially help.
Would any court order outcome depend on my financial circumstances(assets owned, and income). ?
We are doing the arrangement as amicable at the moment, but I would just like to have the facts, in case anything went wrong.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me - my apologies for the delay
It would be perfectly reasonable to ask for rent - but be aware that she will not be able to claim Housing benefit
The Courts decision would indeed take into account your financial position - but the accommodation of the child would be the priority
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.