75100385

Property Law

Hello, I bought a new house 10 years ago using shared equity with the builder, I was due to pay this money back 5 years ago but when I tried to pay it the builder was days away from going bust and wasn't interested in receiving the payment. Since then I've had no contact from the builder, any liquidator or administrator. Where do I stand now 5 years after the contract expired? Thankyou

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Once it had been 6 years you are ok.
Alex Watts : You can't be sued for breach of contract after 6 years because of the limitation act 1980
Alex Watts : Therefore once 6 years have passed action can't be taken against you.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Hi Alex, Thanks for you time, just to confirm is that 6 years after we signed the contract or six years after the 5 year paid by date? And out of interest is that the same for builders who haven't gone bust but haven't made contact for payment? It maybe hey have set up a new business under a different name. Thanks

Alex Watts : 6 years after paid by.
Alex Watts : Even if it's a different name any claim ends if it was made with another business
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer:

That's great thankyou very much for your time