UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I am looking to start trading in rare horror dvds in

Customer Question

I am looking to start trading in rare horror dvds in the Uk, this will include Region 1 DVDs and unrated / unclassified DVDs. Am I legally allowed to sell these on a UK based website and also as a UK market trader at conventions? Most items will be second hand but some will be new and sealed straight from an independent distributor or film maker
Many Thanks
Alan
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
As you will be selling these DVD's, they must be age rated by the British Board of Film Classification. It does not matter that they are second hand or brand new, they must comply with the provisions of the Video Recordings Act 1984.
There is an exemption for DVDs containing educational, sports, religion or music which does not apply in your case.
I cannot comment on the fact that Amazon and other outlets are selling unrated DVDs but they may be breaking the law if they are doing so when not exempted.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As mentioned thousands of imported titles are available on Amazon, eBay and other UK online retailers, also there are UK shops that also specialise in US imports and rarities, surely all of these outlets are not breaking the law and there must be some circumstances where these items can be sold in the Uk?

regards

Alan

I can only guess that they are doing so out of ignorance, there are no exemptions other than what is provided in the law.
It is like someone jumping a red light and does not get caught for it, it doesn't mean that the law has not been broken.
I would suggest that you contact the BBFC for further advise if need be.
Hope this helps. Please leave feedback