UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am due to inherit a substantial amount within the next month,

I am due to inherit a substantial amount within the next month, however my marriage has been unstable for a couple of years. In the possible event of us separating, is there any way I can protect my inheritance?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
How long have you been married for and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I've been married for 21 years and we have 2 daughters aged 19 and 16yrs old.

Normally the courts will look at your current matrimonial assets and if these are sufficient to satisfy the needs of both you and your spouse, your inheritance will not be touched normally.
However, the courts have the power to take your inheritance into account if need be so that your spouses needs are taken care of if the current assets are not sufficient.
You may try and delay taking the inheritance if possible until your divorce is finalised, or get your wife to agree to a post nuptial agreement which states that your inheritance is yours only and not hers.
Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** am the wife and earn substantially less than my husband. Our house is in joint names with a mortgage.

HiJust to add - to have any chance of successfully protecting your inheritance you must keep it in an account that is entirely separate - so do NOT use it to pay off the mortgage or anything similarClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you however I do not wish to receive any more communication .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already rated please do not send any more correspondence.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already received a reply from UKSolicitorJA and paid for it. I do not wish to receive any more correspondence and do not wish to pay again which I will have to do if I rate again. Please respect my wishes and stop contacting me!!!