12826847

What is the term for a the punishment handed down by a magistrates

Customer Question

What is the term for a the punishment handed down by a magistrates Bench for a driving offence? Also how do I address correspondence to the Magistrates Bench if they are women and men, I know they are SIr and Madam in the singularis. thx so much x
Leo Frieda
What do you mean by term?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so so much. I am rather scared about tomorrow as I believe in PREPARATION for any public speaking, let alone something of this nature. I am representing myself at magistrates court for a speeding offence doing 80mph in a 50mph road works temp speed curtailed area with cameras, I have admitted it was me, and normally I believe I would be a 50 50 for losing my licence. I need to be respectful when addressing the bench, and have created a small bundle of evidence re my case. I have listed the contents which just support what happened. on 14 January my son disappeared following a text from a pal of his saying he had suffered a siezure and fallen down stairs. He mate had called ambulance and no cranial damage apparent, the friend said Jake is Ok but might have Epilepsy but will keep you posted, next text half an hour or so.'

I heard not one word more from the young man. I called and texted for 3 days and nights. Finally I felt as though I would go mad and had an idea that his old school friends at Oxford might be able to help track JAKE down. He was just somewhere in the country....! Parent of friends of my son invited me to stay. I left London 8.15 and at 1.43am 18th Jan I speeded thru one of the road work mark ups, I had been driving for 5 hours I had falled in June last year and compressed 3 vertebrae very seriouslly. Cortisone and Anit inflams were not working and I had a neck brace. I felt desperately worried but not hysterical. I was fit to drive but not for 5 hours. I just had to arrive as I was desperrate for antiinflammatories, and to have the help of my friends just to see if Jake could be found. In the event Jake turned up and is very very ill with Epilepsy, Infantile Epilepsy, he sufferes a grand Mal every 2-3 weeks. He cannot work, drive, travel or be alone. He is 23 and this diagnosis explains eveyrthing. He is feelnig hope for the future. I have told him that if he is not careful any fit could be fatal. THis feightens and depressses him but it is vital he understand how sick he is. Am divorced and single. I am an author, historical biography. I am now almost 90% better from neck injury. Jake is being more careful with his life, but it is hard when at 23 I remember not believeing I could possibly be mortal, far less acknowledge I was suffering from a disease that can kill when it is this serious. I need t be able to drive Jake if at all possible, to and from his fahter;s business where he is on work experience, he is also working on his sobriety as he is in rrecovery from substance abuse, and we have an excellent working programme which is building Jake's hithereto nonexistant self esteem, I am not bothered about a short loss of licence, but I am so terrified that something will happen to him, and his heart will give out. I have iinjections I can give him, once we are out of the first year and have more experience, I believe Jake willl recover and I shall finish my present book but this year is a real 'suck it and see' steep learning curve. I have evidence from medics about my neck and Jakes vile Epilespy. I just want to hand in one sheet with key mitigation factors and keep it tight. How do I address the bench in plural if male and femal members, also any tips as to how to keep the whole things short or do you advise every details being lined up. I have already done this in my request for later court date, which was granted. I shall wear quiet clothes, no big jewellry and articulately answer questions. Any suggestions or does and donts. thank you veyr much indneed. I am so glad of your help. thank you and Bless you Best wishes Leonie Frieda (*****@******.***

Thanks,
What I need to know is what you mean by term?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By term i mean HOW DO I ADDRESS THE MAGISTRATES IN PLURAL IF THERE ARE BOTH MEN AND WOMEN SITTING - I KNOW IT IS SIR AND MADAM SINGULARIS, BUT WHAT IS IT FOR BOTH SEXES?

i DARESAY THEY WILL ASK ME QUESTIONS. i AM SURE THEY WILL HAVE GOOGLED ME, AND PROBABLY THINK I AM A STUCK UP SOCIAL NUMBER, (I AM SURE THAT WOULD BE FUN BUT NOT NOW! NEVER SOUNDS GOOD!)

I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN ADDRESSING PEOPLE CORRECTLY, IT JARS WHEN ONE IS REFERRED WITH THE WRONG 'TERM'

LET US SAY PEOPLE CALL A DUCHESS 'YOUR GRACE' - THAT IMMEDIATLEY MAKES THEM THE SERVANTS OF THE DUKE OR DUCHESS IN QUESTION. I JUST DONT WANT TO SOUND A RUDE HICK WHO HAS NOT DONE HER HOME WORK. DO I READ MY STATEMENT OUT MYSELF? OR DOES THE CLERK READ THE EVIDENCE OUT AND THEN QUESTION ME. IT IS A GENUINE EVENT AND PROBABLY THE MOST UTTERLY TERRIFYING THREE TO FOUR DAYS OF MY ENTIRE LIFE. I FELT THAT POLICE WOULD KNOW IF JAKE WERE DEAD, BUT WAS AFRAID THAT THE MORONIC KIDS JAKE USED TO HANG OUT WITH HAD ABANDONED HIM IN APPARENTLY OK CIRCS BUT NOT FOR ONE WITH HIS FORM OF (AT THE TIME) UNTREATED EPILEPSY. OUR WHOLE LIVES, AND ESPECIALLY HIS, POOR CHAP, HAVE BEEN TIPPED UPSIDE DOWN. I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY

You just address the chair which is the person in the middle.
Traditionally solicitors call them Your Worships and barristers call them either sir or madam.
Lay people are not expected to use any particular form of address. Sir or madam will be absolutely fine. Some lay people call them 'your honour' which magistrates really enjoy because it elevates them to the role of a Crown Court Judge in their mind without any basis.
They will not have googled you. They are not allowed to do that and anyway this will be one of many other cases in their list that will not stand out particularly.