Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

ordered fitted oven/hob on 17th July. was told it would be

ordered fitted oven/hob on 17th July. was told it would be 3/4weeks,
asked for drawer to be made for the space below the oven. agreed deep drawer.
after 8 wks we called into shop to ask how much longer before kitchen was delivered.
we were told that we had been 'overlooked' and the order hadnt been logged.
promised to deliver and install hob/oven on 26th Sept.
received phone call to cancel this appt. but would deliver and install on 27th.
Fitter arrived on 27th, said that the worktop was too small, and asked who came out to measure this.
No one came out to measure the work space.
we were not asked for any measurements, I asked for a 3mtr run.
the fitter measured and said that the work top needed to be deeper than the norm, and would have to reorder.
the shop asked for a further £60. I insisted that this was their mistake, as no one came out to measure.
I spoke to Steve, and he said that because they werent told different, they assumed it was a normal depth.
I was not happy being asked for more money for something that was not my fault.
oven, hob and work top were deliverd on Friday 3rd Oct.
Fitted arrived on Saturday (Andy) and fitted the units and work top.
I am happy with his work.
Gas fitter to arrive on Monday to fit the gas hob, but no mention of electrician to fit wire up the oven.
Andy the fitter says that the oven connection is 35amp, and that this is too big for the oven delivered, it needs to be downsized to 5amp.
no one has offered to do this.
shop has asked for further £90. I have refused to pay this.
their quote of £1060 has now been swelled.
after paying our deposit of £500, we gave Andy the fitter final payment of £620.
after 3 days we are still without use of hob and oven.
we are pensioners, not in receipt of any benefits.
this was supposed to be my final kitchen. we are aged 70 and 75yrs old.
we need a hot meal.
the supplier of the kitchen is:
HOWARDS ELECTRICAL
ETRURIA ROAD
BASFORD.
do I have just reason to complain?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is the same company fitting and supplying the kitchen or is it two separate companies?

Customer:

the shop (Howards electrical) supply the hob/oven and work top. they have subcontractors to install, but payment is made to shop.

taratill :

Ok so is your only agreement with the shop?

Customer:

oh, the 8in drawer happened to be 2ins. not sure what I am supposed to store in this, as the origial agreement was for storage drawer for baking tins.

Customer:

yes, my agreement is with the shop

taratill :

How much above the original quote have you now been asked to pay?

Customer:

first and extra £60, and then an extra £90.

Customer:

we have paid the £60 over and above the original quote of !060, but I think I should not be expected to pay a further £90 because they said that the work top is wider than the norm. No one came to measure the area, and I was not asked for any measurements

taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** have the right to complain, Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act you have the right to expect that the work is done with reasonable care and skill and you should not be put out of pocket as a result of the fact that they have not done their job properly. You should phone local trading standards and get a case reference number to quote and to write to them to ask them to refund the amount of money you have paid over and above the original quote due to their failures. You should also give them a timeframe to put matters right and say that if it is not done by this date then youw ill have no alternative but to employ someone else to do the work and put a claim in to the County Court to recover your losses.

taratill :

I am sorry you have had to experience this, it is clearly unacceptable.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask.

Customer:

thank you, ***** ***** I can do this, so after ringing the Local Trading Standards office, I ask for Case reference no. and write them, quoting this, and telling them that I will not pay any further money, and that Howards have not carried out the work they quoted, within the time frame they promised.

Customer:

do I have to give them all the above information, beginning with our first visit to the shop, on 17th July?

taratill :

Yes do that. Send a chronology and use the words I have suggsted above.

Customer:

thank you, ***** ***** I get back to you, if I am not satisfied?

taratill :

Hi you can log on to the site and you will be able to find this question even after it has closed. Alternatively you can open a new question and ask for me by name.

taratill :

If you have any further quesitons please do ask. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. All the best with this.

Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only