75100385

Council Tax

Customer Question

We were wondering if you could help. We purchased a business property with a flat that was empty approximately a year ago. We have paid a years worth of council tax and then the property was demolished. Yesterday the council sent us a bill for approximately £400, we rang them to explain we had paid and had a completion letter from them saying they had deleted us from their records. To our surprise they said we still owed the £400 as the property had been empty for 2 years despite us not owning the property for that amount of time. We were just wondering if this is something they can legally do, as it doesn't seem fair.
Many thanks *****
Alex Watts : Hello Lesley my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know whether you have formally written to complain please?
JACUSTOMER-u3piysh4- : No I haven't complained
Alex Watts : Ok. You should write to the chief executives office.
Alex Watts : That department has a procedure and process for investigating council complaints.
Alex Watts : That should resolve it. If they come back to you and do not resolve it you can complain to the ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and will comsider your complaint. Their website is www.lgo.org.uk
Alex Watts : But you are not liable for periods when you did not own it.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-u3piysh4- : Thats great Thank you for all your help
Alex Watts : Great. Can I help with anything further today?
JACUSTOMER-u3piysh4- : No that's great once again thank you
Alex Watts :

Ok - if I could invite you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/