75100385

A recent episode of " the neighbour from next door" bro

Customer Question

A recent episode of " the neighbour from hell next door" broadcast by Flame TV on channel five depicted my husband, wrongly, of being a man who had wielded a knife against a neighbour. My husband was not even around when this incident took place but people in our locality and at the social clubs we belong to agree that it was my husband who was depicted as the man who had committed this crime. The man responsible had been found guilty of this crime and had been sentenced by the Court. Do we have a case for Libel against this TV company for all the distress and humiliation that their transmission of this programme caused.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Have you suffered any serious harm or just distress please?
JACUSTOMER-q2rd717q- :

Distress and total humiliation, feeling totally uncomfortable in a locality that we have resided in for 40 years, resulting in loss of sleep and our status in the community .

JACUSTOMER-q2rd717q- :

distress and total humiliation, feeling totally uncomfortable in a locality that we have resided in for 40 years, resulting in loss of sleep and status in our community

JACUSTOMER-q2rd717q- :

Madam I have received a question from you to which I have replied. twice.Is that all I get for 47pounds, if so I would like my money back.

Alex Watts :

I see you have rated poor service, but I have not given you an answer yet, just asked for more information

Alex Watts :

So there was no serious harm - have I understood that right?

JACUSTOMER-q2rd717q- :

Our reputation has been defamed to the point of interfering with our lives.If that is not serious harm to you it certainly is to us.

JACUSTOMER-q2rd717q- :

All we really want to know is if we have a reasonable case for Libel.

Alex Watts :

Sadly not.

Alex Watts :

You did under the old law.

Alex Watts :

But under the new law Defamation Act 2013 Section 1 states you must have suffered serious harm

Alex Watts :

If you have not and you accept that this is the case then sadly you do not have a case

Alex Watts :

Even if you did there are a number of defences and indeed you would need to issue proceedings in the High Court

Alex Watts :

If you did issue proceedings and they were fought you are looking at £15,000 in legal fees and you would not get legal aid

Alex Watts :

So sadly you do not have a case

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-q2rd717q- :

No Thanks

Alex Watts : Can I help with anything else today?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/