Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am currently renting a property via a private landlord and

I am currently renting a property via a private landlord and have a very good relationship with them,
However, they do use an Estate Agent to manage the property and my Rent is paid directly to the Estate Agent.
The Agent has advised me that should I have anyone else living in the property on a permanent basis, they must be advised so that they can process credit checks on the person firstly I would like to know if this is correct, as my son is looking to move in with me.
Secondly, I am terminally ill with a brain tumour and have limited life expectancy as a result, this being the main reason for my son to come and live with me.
I was wondering if I should suggest / arrange for the current Tenancy Agreement to be updated to joint names ie myself & my son?
On that basis, when my time comes he would still have a 'home' to live in.
I believe this would involve a fee, but wondered if you could advise as to how much I could expect to pay, & are the Agents correct when they state a credit check must be obtained for anyone who lives with me ?
Thank you for any advice you can offer
Paula Geary
07774 263853
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am sorry to hear of your position.
As the sole Tenant at the moment, only you have the right to occupy the property, and if a third party moves in to the property without the Landlord's consent, you would be breaching the Tenancy Agreement.
Therefore, to enable your son to move in with you, you will need the Landlord's consent, and he is entitled to ask your Son to pay an admin fee so the necessary credit checks can be carried out. This fee is likely to cost £300-£400, and I'm afraid all Landlords/Managing Agents make this charge.
Once approved, the Landlord can then add your Son to the Tenancy Agreement, so that he has equal rights to you to remain living in the property for the duration of the Tenancy Agreement.
I hope this assists you and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL