Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I'm currently employed by a well known psychiatric hospital

I'm currently employed by a well known psychiatric hospital as a medical secretary. I work for the lead child and adolescent psychiatrist running his inpatient and outpatient practice and dealing with all the private inpatient and outpatient enquiries. The consultant I work for is self employed and tops up my salary by a third. We have a very good working relationship, I work hard (more than my contracted hrs) and he values me. We have worked together since 2006.
The hospital are now bringing in a salaried lead child psychiatrist who will take 10 beds on the 12 bedded inpatient unit leaving my consultant 2 beds. I have been told by the hospital director in a recent meeting that I have two choices - either work for both my current and new consultant on inpatients only and any outpatient work will have to be done outside office hrs (despite other consultant's secretaries currently running full outpatient practices during office hrs) or leave and get my current consultant to employ me direct. If I was to take the second option I was told I'd not have a full time desk within the hospital despite this being offered to other consultant's secretaries.
I don't know if I have any rights but I feel I'm not being treated the same as others.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill : Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for? Are you employed by the hospital or the consultant?
Customer: I am employed by the hospital the consultant pays me extra (£1000) per month out of his own pocket. I have been employed by the hospital since 2006
taratill :

Ok thanks for the information. What does your contract of employment describe your role as? Are you assigned to this particular consultant?

Customer: My contract says that I'm employed as a medical secretary and I've been assigned to the same consultant since I was first employed
taratill :

Ok many thanks, ***** ***** you been offered to remain in your same job working for both consultants, I am unclear of the position from the details in your question?