Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Hi,I recently had a telephone Company directors meeting

Customer Question

Hi, I recently had a telephone Company directors meeting where the chair told me the meeting was being recorded. when i heard this i also started recording the conversation as there has been alot of issues with this company. I have now just had the minutes of the meeting and massive amounts have been omitted. They are obviously not made from the recording. What grounds do i have about misleading minutes being produced and is there any issue of using my recording. (I did say "good i will to" when they said they were recording it but they just talked over me) Thanks

Just a bit of an update the minutes were sent to me by a solicitor not the chair

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Firstly in relation to the recording - technically speaking you should not have recorded the meeting without consent, but as you said to the meeting that you were recording the meeting as well and no one left the meeting or objected this is probably sufficient. The only thing you should be concerned about is what you do with the recording, as long as you do not publish it, and keep it private then there is really no sanction you will face. In any event with a civil dispute sound recording as evidence is only admissible with the court's permission so in all likelihood you would only use it to help you make a witness statement if you ever had a dispute;
Secondly - directors are required to keep accurate company records - this includes board minutes - there is however no prescribed form. If you object to the accuracy of the board minutes that have been drafted just write a letter to the company and put them on notice that you believe "XYZ" is missing form the minutes. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter - make sure the letter does not make any accusations but just fills in any perceived blanks. It will only become relevant if there is an issue in the future if there is a dispute over the running of the company or if say the company goes insolvent and a liquidator is looking into director conduct. Really that is all you can do is make sure your objection to the content of the minutes has been recorded in writing.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ