12826847

If I send a text message to an individual who then forwards

Customer Question

If I send a text message to an individual who then forwards said message around via e-mail is this legal
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sent a text message in May where I have called someone "obnoxious and disgusting piece of work" due to the abuse they had given my father. The person who received this text message has now circulated this via email round an organisation I am part of, causing me distress and aggravation from the party I have described as above
I am sorry but I cannot give you good news.
If you sent him a text he is free to show it to others in whatever form he chooses. If he had been making it up then that would be different but you seem to accept that the text was sent and he has reported it accurately. Therefore it is not a malicious communication.
The closest you can come is to argue that this is harassment because he has forwarded it to others but the problem is that you did send this text and sharing it with others is just not an act of harassment.
Once you send messages they are available to be shown as widely as the recipient chooses. They do not owe you a duty of confidentiality unfortunately.
I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.