75100385

I purchased a house in January 2014 and moved in approximately

I purchased a house in January 2014 and moved in approximately four months ago. It has become apparent that there are no soak aways for any rain water (This was only obvious after recent heavy rain, I have dug up the garden to find that rain water is piped directly into the soil near to the house. This is an obvious concern and is likely to cause damp.
Adequate soak away's should have been apparent when the house was built and signed off by building control. This may cost a small fortune to put right. Do I have any grounds to make a claim against the previous occupiers who sold the house or the company that did the survey?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what type of survey you had?

Customer:

I only had the basis survey unfortunately... The house is only 20 years old so I was 'advised' not to have a more thorough one..

Customer:

basic even

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

You have no claim against the previous owner as you had an opportunity to have a survey

Alex Watts :

Again the choice of survey is yours from the valuation survey to a full buildings survey

Alex Watts :

You only had the basic one and sadly therefore the survey company is not liable

Alex Watts :

This being the case I am sorry to say that there is no claim and you will have to pay for the repairs

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thanks for your answer.