12826847

Hi, Im in recipt of Esa & Dla

Customer Question

Hi, Im in recipt of Esa & Dla, and i may be due to recieve some unexpected inheitance... unsure of amount a presant... could be anything upto 30,000 . Was just wondering how this would effect my Housing & Council Tax benifit. And my Esa/Dla. i have no current savings. And am single 38 year old. And at presant get full Housing & Council Tax benefit
Ann.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Are you asking if you will lose these benefits?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi, yes...im concerned about loseing my esa... i think my Dla will be ok... im on medium care, low mobility. But im really concerned about my esa, took me ages to fight for it to begin with. Im in private rented accomadation, My housing and council tax come to apox ..6k a year (im on means tested esa) The fact that i may inherit was a real shock...as it goes 3 genarations back...an agency been trying to track me and 4 other of my relations down (cousins) Now i don't want to appear ungratful...or greedy.. but ive only just sorted my benefits out...which was so hard to get in the first place. I should be happy of this news...but i feel so scared of losing all my benefit (don't mind them reducing it) I have no children. Sorry for long message.. hope this helps. (can't find the rating button...would have given 4) Im on an i-pad, don't own a computer, as that maybe why i cant find a button to rate. Please advise me how i can rate you? Ann
And what is the amount please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To Jo C. Usure of the amount at presant as there are other people also inline for a share of the inheritance (more distant cousins) And as it is just the agency that is tracing us all down at the moment, there not giving us any indication of a figure. But i have done some research of the deceased, and a 266k house they lived in prior to passing away had been sold a month after. Been informed that half estate goes to our side of the cousins ( up to 7) and it get shared out, And they yet to trace any from the other side, but they still trying i think. There is 1 from my side of cousins to respond to the search agency yet. So quite a way of finding out a figure, and ive heard these type of things can go on for ages. I did reasearch on the house, the tracing agenct company, how long trading/ checked that the freephone number was a genuine uk number..ect...just to check it wearn't a scam. So this is a pure estamate from 6k and 30k. I just want to prepare myself of what to do, should i be fortunate to inherit anything from this very very distant deceased relation (if my mother where alive, it would have gone to her) Never known farther/unknown. Hope this helps further. So anything between 6k and 30k. (Still can't see any button to rate you, 4/5) . Ann
That is going to an issue I'm afraid. Your DLA will not be affected because that is not means tested.
However, your ESA and housing benefit are means tested and I'm afraid will be lost if you receive any sum over £16k.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To Jo C, As i was expecting really, just wanted to be sure. What about any amount between 6k & just under the 16k threshold, Do they just reduce my beniefit accordinly to the amount in my bank. And how long before i can re-apply for benefits if over 16k. (hey ive seen them 'rating faces' this time! it says rate to finish... do i rate this time or when you reply to this.message) Il rate this message in the hope you respond to my final message. Il rate 5***** Thanks. Ann
They will still pay housing benefit but at a reduced rate.
If over 16k then you cannot apply for benefits of a wands tested nature but you can apply when under.