UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

How many times can surgery be cancelled

How many times can surgery be cancelled
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Daughter Amy has on two previous occasions attended Darling ton Memorial Hospital by appointment to undergo Gallbladder removal surgery. On both occasions her surgery was cancelled for different reasons. On the first occasion the surgeon said he would transfer her operation to Dryburn University Hospital as it was nearer to home, this did not happen, as the next appointment for this operation was made for the Darlington Memorial Hospital where she attended in good time only to be told that due to a previous Electrical power cut that day that the Surgeon was running late And After waiting the whole afternoon she was again cancelled as the Surgeon had ta***** *****er with another operation. Amy now has another appointment tomorrow at Darlington. We are very concerned about this situation as Amy is due to start a new job on the 20th October 2014 and will need time to recover.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

There is no specific number of times given that surgery is allowed to be cancelled, it depends on the individual circumstances of each case and if you are concerned about the cancellations and the care being given to Amy, you should lodge a formal complaint.

See here for the complaints procedure: http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/complaints/Pages/NHScomplaints.aspx

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Jo for your help. I have bookmarked the NHS complaint site. Find it hard to believe being charged £56, which is just less than half my total state pension income.

Good luck