29905560

I have been suspended from work 1st for 1week so that my boss

I have been suspended from work 1st for 1week so that my boss can investigate alleged misconduct now a 2nd week how long can this go on
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

10 years

Ben Jones :

A suspension could potentially last for as long as it is necessary. What is important to note is that being placed on suspension is not an automatic assumption of guilt and does not amount to disciplinary action. It is there to be used as a precautionary measure whilst an employer investigates any allegations against the employee. Reasons for suspending could be in the case of gross misconduct, breakdown of relationship, risk to an employer's property, their clients or other employees, to preserve evidence or ensure it is not tampered with, avoid potential witnesses being pressured or intimidated, etc.

During the period of suspension the employer should conduct a reasonable investigation into the allegations against the employee. If the investigation gathers enough evidence to justify the taking disciplinary action that could be the next step. In that case the employee has the right to be informed in advance of the allegations against them and be given the opportunity to prepare for the hearing.

On the other hand, if the investigation does not find enough evidence to justify a disciplinary, the employer should terminate the suspension immediately and allow the employee to return to work as normal.

So as long as the suspension is used whilst the employer investigates and prepares evidence to decide whether this needs to go to a disciplinary, it can continue for the time being, although it should not be delayed unnecessarily, for example if they have finished the investigation and are not taking the matter further.

Customer:

thank you for your help in this matter Robert M Burt

Ben Jones :

you are welcome