75100385

I have just been refused compensation on an insurance claim

Customer Question

I have just been refused compensation on an insurance claim for having cancelled a holiday because my travelling companion was taken ill. She has received full repayment of her holiday but I have been refused a penny. What can I do.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Was the person your partner please or just companion?

JACUSTOMER-m0ktnwj4- :

a female friend who I travel with regularly

Alex Watts :

Ok, was it a joint policy?

JACUSTOMER-m0ktnwj4- :

no we had different insurance companies because I was having a holiday in the May previous to this one in September for which I used the same company for both my hoidays

Alex Watts :

What do the policy terms say about joint travellers and one falling ill?

JACUSTOMER-m0ktnwj4- :

I cannot find any mention of joint travellers on a different policy

Alex Watts :

So they were 2 separate policies?

JACUSTOMER-m0ktnwj4- :

yes my friend used staysure but I used just travel for both my holidays. I was advised by the insurers not to purchase an annual policy but to insure the two holidays separately

Alex Watts :

Ok - its bad news I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

You had 2 policies not one joint one. This person is your companion rather than partner and there is nothing in the policy that says it would cover you for another person cancelling

Alex Watts :

Based on what you have said sadly I do not think you have a claim

Alex Watts :

However you should write and appeal the decision

Alex Watts :

They will investigate the complaint and report back to you

Alex Watts :

If you are still not happy you can go to the Ombudsman.They offer a free, independent service. Their website is: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

JACUSTOMER-m0ktnwj4- :

then the travel agent should have advised us of this fact we have been travelling on holiday together for over 10 years and have never had a joint policy.

Alex Watts :

But these are the steps you can take. If you took it to Court I am sorry to say I think you would lose for the reasons I have outlined

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

JACUSTOMER-m0ktnwj4- :

thanks for your help I will do that cheerio

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-m0ktnwj4- :

no it seems perfectly fine

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else today?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/