Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I wonder if you could please advise on a simple point: In

Customer Question

I wonder if you could please advise on a simple point:
In 2001 I was offered a settlement against an employment contract. At the time the settlement was significantly less than the claim that I felt I was due. On advice of my lawyers, I turned down the settlement offer with intention to continue to pursue the matter through the courts but unfortunately my lawyers then refused to continue representing me unless I settled their bills which I could not do (being unemployed, which status was known to them).
My question is: Is this case now ‘too old’ for me to pursue it afresh? I am supposing that the original offer of a settlement from the firm is tantamount (?) to an admission of culpability/responsibility on their side?
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long ago did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-wto72ixb- :

As I stated in my summary, this was in 2001

Customer:

I'm sorry I didn't notice that. I am really sorry but there is no recourse. In the Employment Tribunal there are only 3 months from the date of the act to bring a claim. Even if you could bring a breach of contract argument on the basis that there was an admission, in the civil court, there would be a limitation of 6 years for bringing a claim.

Customer:

I am really sorry that this is not the answer you were looking for.

Customer:

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.