31090051

Dear Solicitors, A colleague and I have written an iPad

Dear Solicitors,
A colleague and I have written an iPad game. A friend ofmine who is a visual FX supervisor has produced the game graphics and 3D models. We have paid on a 'fixed bid' basis, e.g. a one-off payment, for the graphics to be produced. We have provided the detailed requirements, my friend has produced the graphics and 3D models.
I want to formalise the usage of these assets, e.g. that we are using them for commercial purposes in the game and have the rights to re-sell them if we wish, but thathe has rights to use them in his portfolio and showreel...
Where do we stand with copyright? As the creator, I imagine that heholds the copyright, but having paid for them, what do we own? We do not have a contract...
Any thoughts gratefully received,
Regards,
Simon
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You are correct in what you say. The creator holds the copyright. There are two ways of dealing with this and it will be for the two parties to negotiate which way they want to go.
1. He could grant you a licence to use the copyright work for the purposes of your game.
2. He could assign the whole copyright to you so that you own it, including the source code etc, but you then grant him a restricted licence to show off his work in a portfolio or use it in any other way that would not compete with your product.
Obviously the second option is the better for you. You will have to see an intellectual property lawyer to get the appropriate agreement drafted.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DearCustomer
Many thanks for the information, I will consider our next moves,
Regards,
Simon
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.