UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

A family friend from Philippines Mrs. Graciana Dela Cruz Ward

A family friend from Philippines Mrs. Graciana Dela Cruz Ward would like to know as legal wife her rights to the properties or estate left by Geoffrey Victor Ward, her husband, under the laws of UK or particularly in Oakham, Rutland. Mr Ward died at home on 14th Feb. 2013 in Oakham, Rutland. If wife can inherit what properties are left by her husband?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Did the husband make a Will and was he living in the UK before he died? Does he have any assets in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure about any will made by the husband have to ask my dad who is a lawyer and is handling the inquiry in Philippines where the wife is in now, but Mr. Ward was living with his wife before he died here in Oakham , Rutland UK. He too probably have assets here in UK. Is there any civil registry here where we can inquire the properties of the deceased?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you research on this matter i will just be collecting my daughter from school i will be back soon. Just send any information thru my email address thanks.
No, there is no civil registry where assets would be listed, that would be a personal matter for the husband.
The first thing that needs to be done is to ascertain whether he left behind a Will as the Will usually specifies how his assets are to be handled and given to on his death.
If there is no Will left behind, then the intestacy rules apply. If they had no surviving children, grandchildren or great grandchildren, she will have inherited everything of his.
If there were surviving children, grandchildren or great grandchildren, then she will inherit the first £250000, all his personal property and half of the remaining estate.
You can see here for further information
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/relationships_w/relationships_death_and_wills_e/who_can_inherit_if_there_is_no_will___the_rules_of_intestacy.htm
May I help further?