UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

When having our trees cut some branches fell and damaged our

When having our trees cut some branches fell and damaged our neighbours garage room. We have offered and arrange for a builder to fox the holes making it water tight. Our is insisting that the roof is replaced and not just a patchup. I understand as this is asbestos it should not be touched as advised by a builder who states that it is normally to patch with water tight material.
What is your advise on this please
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
As long as the roof is repaired to the same condition it was in before the damage, then that is fine. Replacing the roof is a last option and only if the roof cannot be repaired satisfactorily.
Damages in tort are awarded so as to put your neighbour in the same position he would have been had the damage not occurred. Him getting a new roof when it can be fixed means he will profit from the damage which is not what the law allows.
May I help further?