LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I had been drinking and crashed into a parked car, nobody was

I had been drinking and crashed into a parked car, nobody was in it, no-one was hurt. I spent the night in a cell and was bailed by the police. The vehicle owners (who I never met)insurers contacted my insurers and they asked me for details. I gave them details, but omitted the fact that I had been drinking and was well over the limit, as I was not asked any questions pertaining to this. I have third party fire and theft insurance. Question 1: Are my insurers obligated to pay out to a third party regardless of my conduct if I inform them? Question 2: If I don't inform them and they are made aware at a later date, could there be repercussions?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Have you been charged and bailed to court or to the police station at a future date?

Customer:

Yes, to court.

Customer:

We are awaiting a response

LondonlawyerJ :

Q1 Yes, your insurance will cover you even though you were drink driving if your insurance agreement covers the damage caused. Third party risks sometimes only means personal injury to third parties and not damage to property (eg a car). You must check your insurance policy to see what is covered. Q2 That depends on all the circumstances, if you have misled the claimants insurance company there could be problems if this looked like a deliberate attempt to mislead. But what difference does it make to them, you presumably admit it was your fault with no one else contributing to you crash and so the amount you/your insurers pay will be the same in either event. The claimants insurers will almost certainly find out about the drnik drive issues and I would think the best course of action is to write to them telling them that you have been charged with drink driving.