UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a lease on a first and second floor maisonette above

Customer Question

I have a lease on a first and second floor maisonette above commercial premises, dated 26th April, 1995, The Term being 99 years from 25th December, 1994. My son and myself have lived permanently in the premises throughout. We would now like to extend the lease. I have written to the freeholder requesting this and asking her price, but have had no reply. Do we have a right to this and, if so. how should we proceed?
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
Sylvia C. Cook.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you have a right to ask for an extension of the lease.
As the process is quite complicated, I would suggest that you appoint a solicitor to handle the process for you so that the freeholder takes you seriously as you have had no response from the freeholder
You may appoint a fixed fee solicitor to handle the process for you e.g.
http://www.stephensons.co.uk/site/individuals/srvhouse/lease_extensions/
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I'll write to her again pointing out that I have that right. After that, if no joy, I'll consider engaging a solicitor.

Welcome. All the best