12826847

I found £2750 in the car park when I took my dog to the vets.I

I found £2750 in the car park when I took my dog to the vets.I collected about £150 ,all the money was in £20 notes, went back into the vets and ..being honest, told them what I had found.A receptionist then came back out with me ,and together we collected all the money , about £2750. The receptionist was tasked with phoning the police to report the find. This she did . I then called the police 3 times since the find in in May 2014, but because of the large amount ,they had to look into it. This evening I got a call from the police to say that they could not trace the money ,and that they would release the money to the finders. Now they contacted the Vet receptionist first, and decided to split the money 50:50 .They then called me and said was that acceptable..as it was to her, and if it was not I could contest it as a civil case.My point is that I ALONE found the money,blowing wildly in the car park. It was my find..no one else.The police have gone to the receptionist first , not the finder ME, and have come up with this split.They should have come to me first ,whence it is my choice to give the receptionist a reward for helping me. This I would have done anyway ,probably to the tune of £500, but not half of £2750. It was due to my finding ,my honesty that this was handed in , not the receptionists. The police are calling me back Sat. pm to discuss. How best can I get the result I want and what are the costs of a civil case.Thanks
I am sorry but there is no chance of getting the police to release to you. I realise that you may have found the money originally but it was handed it to her and she handed to the police. In fact, as far as they are concerned, she is the finder so you are lucky to be getting anything at all unfortunately.
You can always complain. She may agree. If she does not though it is not a good idea to take action against the police. All that would lead to is the withdrawal of the offer.
You could always sue her for the difference on the basis of conversion essentially. You do have a claim. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you it is a strong one but it is one that you can bring.
The difficulty here is just plain that you didn't hand it to the police yourself. I realise that you probably didn't think this would happen but the trouble is that you cannot go back and do things over again with hindsight.
I am sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I could not hand the money in personally to the police, cos the dug had just undergone a procedure in the surgery ,and had to be taken home and cleaned up, and calmed down.Hence I had to rely on the Vet receptionist to do it. Anyway the police legal dept. want to divide the money up equally ,which I may have to accept, if my vet. extenuating circumstances is not accepted .They will call me back this week.

Yes, I understand. But nevertheless that was how it worked out.
I am sorry.