13262538

Does a God parent have any rights to see a child if the parents

Customer Question

Does a God parent have any rights to see a child if the parents decide otherwise?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid no, they do not have such rights unless they obtain a child arrangements order in their favour.
See here for further information
https://www.cafcass.gov.uk/grown-ups/professionals/child-arrangements-orders.aspx
Hope this helps
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you.
The role of God Parent has no meaning in Civil law - it is a religious title only.
Accordingly it brings with it no rights at all.
However if the god parent has established a solid relationship with the child and it has been ongoing for many years then it could technically be possible for the adult to ask the court for permission to apply to the court allowing some form of ongoing contact
However it would have little chance of success unless the child was of an age for their wishes to be paramount
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details