75100385

My tenant is not paying the electric bill, as a landlord I

My tenant is not paying the electric bill, as a landlord I have a contract with the energy supplier and receive the utility bill and I pay the utility bill. This is due to the way the electric is supplied to the (semi commercial) property in that it is too complex to install a separate meter for the residential part of the building. The residential part has a meter that gives a reading from which the bill for the tenant can be worked out. To date the outstanding amount has reached approx £850. Both myself and the letting agent have tried contacting the tenant but are being ignored, how should I proceed?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Does it form part of the tenancy agreement that they must pay the electric please?

Customer:

Yes it is part of the tenancy agreement.

Alex Watts :

Ok - do you want to evict the tenant?

Customer:

Not if I can help it

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

That's fine thanks