75100385

Dear Sir or Madame, I have to leave the country and return

Dear Sir or Madame,
I have to leave the country and return to my home country due to health reasons. I've had to break the contact for the house I rent in London. Is there a specific consideration by the British law for the above case? I am asking because the letting agency didn't consider at all the health reasons.
Thank you in advance.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You broke the contract and the agency are chasing you for the debt and you want to know if you can have it written off because you were ill, is that right?

Customer:

Hi Alex, yes that is right

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid. Under UK law you signed a contract. This sets out all the terms between you and the other side. It shows what each parties rights and responsibilities are.

Alex Watts :

I assume you read and understood the contract before you signed it and by signing it you agreed to be bound by its terms

Alex Watts :

That means if you break the contract and in this case leave the property, you are liable for the rent for the empty period.

Alex Watts :

So if you end the contract by leaving you are still liable for the remaining period, no matter how ill you may be

Alex Watts :

For example if you signed a 6 month contract and left after 2 months you are liable for 4 months

Alex Watts :

However that being said the Landlord must minimse any loss

Alex Watts :

So taking the above example if there were 4 months remaining and he managed to let the contract out for the last 3 months you would only be responsible for the empty period, ie 1 month

Alex Watts :

But you are liable for any losses as a result, no matter how ill you are because you signed a contract

Customer:

it was not in the contract that i've signed the details of broken it. that plays a role? I have to pay a fee as well 10% plus vat for the remaining months

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

You only have to pay for the empty period

Customer:

thank you.it is very useful

Alex Watts :

You dont have to pay a 10% fee because unless that was payable anyway, they can not impose extra charges

Alex Watts :

Customer:

can I have this answer send to my email address please so I can use it? Thank you

Alex Watts :

Yes, once you rate the format changes and you can see it in a different format

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

A last question. What do you mean if that was payable anyway?

Alex Watts :

Ok - you only pay the 10% if the contract said you have to

Alex Watts :

If it does not then you do not have to pay it

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Yes thanks

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else today?

Customer:

no thank you for your time