75100385

Please could you advise me on; What is considered to be

Customer Question

Please could you advise me on;
What is considered to be a 'safe' distance when turning right, in a 20mph zone when there is an oncoming vehicle coming towards me?
e.g 5-6 car length would be approx 24 meters, would this distance be considered 'safe' to turn right infront of the oncoming vehicle if he was travelling at 25mph ?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

May I ask what is this in relation to please?

JACUSTOMER-ynud4fz7- :

My daughter called the police at the time of the accident, who quiet frankly were not interested. After completing a T2 form, they said that there was not enough evidence to prosecute the other driver. If anybody was to blame it was possibly was my Daughter as she had crossed the path of an oncoming vehicle. In both my daughter's statement and the other drivers, it has been established that there was approximately 160ft between her and the oncoming car when my daughter was making the turn, and about 150 ft in the other drivers statement when the other driver saw her about to make the turn. My daughter thought this was a 'safe' enough distance between her and the oncoming vehicle for her to make her turn. She did this without incident. The road that she turned into had a row of parked cars on the left, and she had to make the turn into the right hand side of the road in order to overtake these parked cars. The other driver sped up, and turned into the same road as her. He tried to undertake her before she reached the parked cars. In doing so he collided with the nearside of her vehicle, shunting her sideways onto the kerb. The impact shattered her passenger window. After colliding with her vehicle, he then went on to collide with two of the parked cars that were on the left hand side of the road. He is now claiming that my daughter turned across his path and the accident occurred at the junction, and not 22meters into the road in which she turned. I am trying to establish what is considered a safe enough distance to turn when turning right in the path of an oncoming vehicle.

Alex Watts :

I can say that there is no definitive answer. The law requires that a driver drives to a reasonable and prudent standard

Alex Watts :

Therefore there is no specific number as to what is and what is not a safe distance.

Alex Watts :

If this goes through insurance and goes to Court a Judge will consider using all the evidence available who is at fault.

Alex Watts :

A Judge may find for or against a party or split liability ie 50/50

Alex Watts :

But there is no hard and fast rule

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/