Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If I have paid bills for someone by direct debit and had a

If I have paid bills for someone by direct debit and had a verbal agreement to repay and they haven't where do I stand on getting my money back?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Unless the person is willing to repay you, the only option you have is to issue small claims Court proceedings to claim the money back. This can be done relatively easily, using the online system- Money Claim Online
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview.
It is good practice to give the party 7 days notice of your intention to issue such proceedings, so I suggest you send them the following-
"Having taken legal advice, I am writing to inform you that unless you repay me the sum of £x within 7 days from the date of this letter/email, I will have no alternative but to issue Court proceedings against you for the amount due to me, together with interest and costs".
Hopefully, this letter will be sufficient for the person to repay you!
I hope this assists you and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL