12826847

Does the sales of goods act only apply to the retailer where

Does the sales of goods act only apply to the retailer where a product was bought? If the quality of the product is in question for circa up to a period of 6 years, is this not the responsibility of the manufacturer rather than a retailer?
I have a defective wine cooler, I bought this on the internet 3 years ago. The service department form the manufacturer has diagnosed the problem as not repairable. They have pointed out that 'In regards ***** ***** sales of good act you will need to discuss this with your retailer as your contract is with who you purchased the appliance from'.
Rgds J Green
The Sale of Goods Act only applies to the retailer. Or course, sometimes the seller is the manufacturer.
However, it is not guaranteed for 6 years. It is a limitation period of 6 years. If the fault is within the first six months then there is a presumption in your favour that it was there at the time of sale. If it is after then it is for you to prove that it existed.
The longer the delay the more likely it is that the court would say the product lasted a reasonable time. It is a rare product that is covered for six years.
Either way, the manufacturer in this case is not bound by the SGA.