13262538

Our father has recently suffered a stroke and is in hospital.

Our father has recently suffered a stroke and is in hospital. (There are three of us). We need to be able to access his bank and or building society accounts to stop several payments going out - one for a car loan and also to get cash for his day-to-day expenses. My brother has flown over from the USA for a couple of weeks to help me sort things out. What is the easiest way to do things please?
Julie Keen
Does your father still have mental capacity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is still early days, he suffered the stroke on Sunday 5th October. Some days he appears to be much more aware and able to understand us and some days he barely seems to recognise us. Yesterday, Sunday 12th October, he was the most aware and communicative he has been, but, still very limited. Hopefully, his communication and awareness and mental capacity will only increase over time but no one can say with any certainty if that will happen and how long it might take. He is currently significantly physically debilitated. He is right handed and it appears that all the motor skills of his right limbs are compromised.

The issue is whether or not your father has sufficient understanding to sign (or make his mark on) a Power of attorney.
This is something you should ask his consultant about.
You can read more here
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview
If not the only way forward is to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as his Deputy.
You can read more here
https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy/overview
Neither of these options are instant (a major flaw in the system)
But you do need to start as soon as possible
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help and assistance. Sadly Dad passed away early on Saturday morning.

I am so very very sorry for your loss - mine passed away in March.
There are no words - but memories can comfort