LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Last week I took a cheque to a cheque cashing firm because

Customer Question

Last week I took a cheque to a cheque cashing firm because I needed the cash urgently. Unfortunately their bank lost my cheque which was for 12k. As my contract is worth the cheque cashing firm are they wholly responsible and do I have any comeback even though I Manfred to have the issuer cancel the cheque.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Have you got your money?

JACUSTOMER-nyszvu42- :

No. The cheque issuer has a problem with their bank and their own computer systems and say they cannot do a telegraphic transfer.

Customer:

You will have come back against the cheque cashing service in negligence (and breach of contract probably), but only for losses suffered/inconvenience caused as a result of their failings, ie for losses caused as a result of their failings which led to a delay in your getting a new cheque and getting it cashed.

JACUSTOMER-nyszvu42- :

ok. Should I get a cancellation of the contract in writing? I have only had their word so far that b it's been cancelled

Customer:

You should write to them telling them that you have cancelled the cheque (assuming you have) and that you are treating the contract as repudiated and demanding compensation for losses you have incurred.