12826847

my son in law so in prison 300 miles from were his wife and

my son in law so in prison 300 miles from were his wife and 2 small children live. is there anything we can do to get him moved closer as his family can not visit him as to far to take to small children.he was jailed 4 months ago for 15 years for drug offences.he was in nottingham jail to start with and they visited every 10 days which was good for them but now they have not seen him for a month and it starting to effect them all. we have wrote to both prisons and lowdan which he had a transfer to which is 15 mins away but they now sent him there and we getting little response. thankyou darron quinn
Why was he moved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the letters say the pmu moved him because a space came up. before this he had a letter saying he would be allowed to lawdan when a space came up. they say now he will be there for 6 months at least. we are worried that he could be there for years as why move him now. we need help in what to do, and who to right to as getting nowhere and this only adding to the pain for his family

There can be lots of reasons for a transfer and they could take forever to sort it out. We both know what the prison service is like.
He can apply for a transfer to a prison closer to his family. They will respond fairly quickly but it is fair to say that they will not transfer automatically. Priority is often given to people who are suffering poor health.
If it is refused then he can appeal to Prison Headquarters and thereafter to the Ombudsman.
Thereafter the only further option is judicial review. That is expensive but decisions of the Prison Service have been successfully judicially reviewed before.