75100385

my ex partner of ten years I had put away for assault and battery

my ex partner of ten years I had put away for assault and battery 2 and half years ago and he only got eleven weeks I have now had to arrest him for harassment charges firstly for coming to my house and terrifying me and my son and now for insulting emails to me and about my son and also a facebook message to a friend that said I suggest you get yourself checked out corrinne has hiv he went to court yesterday and pleaded not guilty which astounds me because the evidence is there in black and white and now I have to go to court which has been set for march 27th next year x what I want to know is what will happen and will he be found guilty as I do not have much faith in the justice system also I am terrified of this man
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what was the nature of the harassment?

Customer:

did you receive my answer xxx

Alex Watts :

Sadly not.

Alex Watts :

Can you repeat it please?

Customer:

ok well the nature of the harassment firstly was turning up drunk at my house banging and kicking my door then in emails insulting my 21 year old son who is a qualified nursery nurse saying he is a paedophile and looks at child porn then just constant emails telling me about his love life and then he sent a private message to a very old friend of mine saying I suggest you get you get yourself checked out corrinne has hiv x

Alex Watts :

Ok - how many incidents have there been in total?

Customer:

it seems that he is obsessed with destroying me and not allowing me to have a life and because of the latest incident he has managed to destroy my relationship with my new boyfriend x over the years there have been several incidents of violence which have been dealt with by the police x and now he is starting all over again I have put him away at least 3 times before x but it was not until 2and a half years ago I managed to get out of our domestic and abusive relationship

Alex Watts :

Ok -what will happen is this.

Alex Watts :

When you go to Court you will be asked questions by the prosecution. You say what happened, when etc

Alex Watts :

You are then asked questions by the defence. It is that lawyers job to put your ex's case

Alex Watts :

Then if convicted he will be given a sentence.

Alex Watts :

The Prosecution are also likely to ask for a restraining order

Alex Watts :

This is an injunction to stop him contacting you.

Alex Watts :

If he breaches this order it is very serious and he is likely to go to prison

Alex Watts :

Customer:

what do you think my chances of getting him convicted on the evidence that I have told you about and how can he plead not guilty when the cps and police have all the print outs of the emails and the face book message how does he think he can plead not guilty surely this cannot go in his favour

Alex Watts :

All the Court needs to be satisfied is at least 2 contacts

Alex Watts :

He will get a higher sentence by pleading not guilty if convicted afterwards

Customer:

well one visit ten emails and one facebook message do you think he will get put away again

Alex Watts :

Yes I think that is enough for a conviction

Alex Watts :

Customer:

thankyou so much will I be asked to have witnesses there to speak on my behalf aswell

Alex Watts :

Yes of course.

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else today?

Alex Watts :

But generally you will be asked to give your own evidence.

Customer:

well that is good news because my best friend was here the day he came to my house and she has witnessed Christopher in the past when we were together x also will my son be asked to give evidence because of the email what was related to him

Alex Watts :

Ok - she can give evidence too

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today?

Customer:

will my son be asked to give evidence because of the email that was send insulting him x

Alex Watts :

Indeed

Customer:

ok well what correspondence will I be receiving from the court between now and march I cannot afford a solicitor so how do I get my friend to be a witness and how will my son be confirmed as one aswell x

Alex Watts :

Well they need to give statements to the Police.

Alex Watts :

The Police should call as witnesses. But you don't need a Solicitor.

Customer:

and will the police be asking me for witness statements or do they have to go to the police themselves

Alex Watts :

They need to go to the Police

Customer:

oh okay x do you think with just me as a witness will be enough to get him convicted or do I stand a much better chance if I get my friend and son to be testify aswell

Alex Watts :

The more the better

Alex Watts :

But everyone needs to go to the Police and give a statement asap

Customer:

okay thankyou x

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience