Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I was adopted by my stepfather when I was 10. He and my mother

Customer Question

I was adopted by my stepfather when I was 10. He and my mother then divorced and I did not see him again. I kept in touch with my natural father who had adopted his 2 stepchildren. He then went onto divorce his wife and did not see his adopted stepchildren again. I still continued to stay in touch with my natural father. He has now died leaving an estate worth approx £150'000 but no will. Who is entitled to inherit his estate? Do I have any claim?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that you will not be entitled to inherit under the intestacy rules from your biological father's estate as you have been adopted, and are therefore are classed as a child of your stepfather, and not your natural father.

Your natural father's Estate is therefore divided equally between his adopted children and any other natural children he may have had, who had not been adopted.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

AL