Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I purchased a Ifor Williams trailer from a local person who

I purchased a Ifor Williams trailer from a local person who is member family business of scrap dealers I went to register the trailer in my name on the Ivor Williams data base for theft only to be told that there was a problem with the serial number so I double checked it and the lady at Ivor W. said its still not right so she said take some pictures and send her,a few days later it came back as a stolen trailer from 2006 I contacted the seller I had only had the trailer a week to return my £1350 and sort it out( he had the trailer for 5/6 years )with the local dealer he purchased it from he said no way, then he offered half the money (I have been dealing with the scap yard for years) as a good will I was not impressed I have done 1 trip of 3 miles and to lose £675 in a week was out of order, I had to contact the police they came and looked at the trailer and put a probition on the trailer , at 9-30am the next day 2 police arrived took a statment and removed the trailer as it was stolen .so I have lost the trailer and my £1350 with is a lot of money to me thanks ***** *****
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
This dispute ultimately comes down to a breach of contract. You agreed to purchase the trailer and they agreed to sell it. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 S.12 there is an implied term that a seller sells goods with good title.
The fact that the trailer was stolen means that they had no right to sell the trailer and therefore are in breach of contract and specifically the implied term of S.12. You are entitled to any reasonably foreseeable losses and to rescind the contract and get your money back.
You have two options:
1. The inexpensive option - write to them demand a fullwww.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
refund and if they do not grant it - complain to Trading Standards - This will be slow;
2. Make a money claim against them https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome in the county court for your losses and the cost of the trailer.
I am afraid if they wont voluntarily refund you then you will have to force them to.
AJ