Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

A baillif is apparently on his way to collect goods to take

A baillif is apparently on his way to collect goods to take as payment for a CCJ debt. We have never been informed about the CCJ or know anything about the client they rep. If we pay now direct to the Directors account we can stop them ! I have told the police but they cannot do anything unless there is trouble. i think it is a scam but if they have the "correct" paperwork can they really remove money / goods to the amount £3,800 they say is owed ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you got a copy of the County Court Order?

Alex J. :

Do you know who the claimant is?

Alex J. :

Kind regards AJ

Customer:

We have never been told about any court proceedings and so have no paperwork whatsoever. the claimant is Stenson Media design and print who we have never heard of.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. Is the bailiff coming to a private address or work address?

Customer:

work. due here any moment !

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. You do not have to let the bailiffs and they cannot force their way in. Just make sure all the doors are shut and locked they may just attempt entry and then go away.

Alex J. :

You will however need to find a copy of the Judgment and work out exactly what has happened.

Customer:

So if they arrive, we have an intercom entry. I should just tell them to go away and if they try to force entry, call the police?

Alex J. :

If they cannot gain entry on this visit they will eventually come back so you will need to get to the bottom of what has happened in the interim.

Alex J. :

If you call the police say you are being harassed under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and that someone is pursuing you for a CCJ of which you have had no notice.

Customer:

How do we find details of the CCJ if we have not been sent any papers and the bailiff won't tell me cotact details of his client ?

Alex J. :

Ask the bailiffs for documentary evidence of the debt and ask for an opportunity to call the creditor.

Alex J. :

Do not under any circumstance use force against the bailiff.

Alex J. :

If the bailiff wont give you ID or proof of the debt then call the police immediately.

Alex J. :

Tell the police that the Bailiff will not identify themselves. If the bailiff is refusing to give you evidence of the debt or any ID - then be highly suspicious - it could potentially be a scam.

Customer:

We have definitely never received any invoices from the client or any indication that anything was going to happen until an hour ago when this guy rang. I think that if they do turn up and the women feel threatned then I shall just dial 999

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. If they refuse to give you ID and evidence of the debt, then yes I would dial the police.

Alex J. :

Make sure you tell the police if they are refusing to identify themselves or give you evidence of the debt.

Customer:

ok. Am i allowed to take photos of them and also their vehicle

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. Yes there is no issue with filming and photographing them.

Customer:

OK. Thanks. We'll see what happens.

Alex J. :

Bare in mind that if they are legitemate bailiffs they may take your mobile phone for the debt - so perhaps ask one of your staff to photograph them on a personal phone if they can.

Customer:

Keeping line open for another 30 mins when we close just in case I need to get back to you !

Alex J. :

No problem. I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer:

they should have been here about an hour ago.i have walked around the block and cannot see anyone waiting but have let the women home early and will leave myself shortly. I am sure it was a scam designed to scare me into transferring money into their account. I shall call the police when i get home and update them and give them the phone number/ bank account details I was told to credit and see if they can get any joy.

Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE