13262538

I want to help a friend, he is divorced has a dog. At the moment

Customer Question

I want to help a friend, he is divorced has a dog. At the moment he is living in a house that belonged to his ex wife's mother, and the house will be put on the market at Christmas so he will be without a home, we have become very close over the past few months and I have my own flat, I have offered him to come and live with me as my partner he has said no, but he wants to travel the world to see his children and grandchildren and stay with them for a few months at a time. What I want to offer him is a legal agreement hereby he can stay with me on a permanent basis with no strings attached so that he has a permant home in the UK and I will take care of the dog, I'm not asking for any monetary gain for this . what do you think ? Can it work?
Why do you need a legal agreement?
What are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not hoping to achieve anything to just want to help him.

Ok.
So why don't you just offer to let him stay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have but I want it on a legal footing so there is no misunderstandings

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I'm prepared to wait

I am sorry - why do you think there needs to be a legal agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Because without it my friend would be offended by the offer, this way with a legal document all would be straight forward and above board,

Has he expressed a wish for you to look after the dog (I think this could be a good focus for the agreement)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes he has otherwise she will have to be put down, the dog is 13 years old and has a few health issues, I get on with her and she accepts orders from me.

That is a good beginning then.
I assume that you will then say that he is welcome to visit the dog and stay whenever he wishes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But I want him to regard my home as his and live with me on a permanent basis but when he wants to be able to come and go that is why I want the legal agreement between us, I don't do it to trap him into say living with me as " husband and wife" would.

But if he does not wish to do so there is no Legal Agreement that can persuade him otherwise.
Your best option is to confirm that you will take in his dog and that he will always have a (separate) room at your house should he wish to stay
You can make it plain that there are no strings attached - so you can in fact draw up a "contract" between you confirming what the arrangements will be
You can adopt a room rental agreement
https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/documents-and-forms/room-rental-agreement.rl
to reflect the fact that there is no financial costs - but he can store his belongings in"his" room so long as he wishes
Please ask if you need further details