29905560
Law

Can my employer ask to see my itemised mobile phone bill

replied 3 years ago.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me is this your personal phone

Customer: Yes this is my personal mobile.
Customer: Hello are you there
Ben Jones :

ok thank you for that leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.

Customer: Thanks ben
Ben Jones :

Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier on. All seems to be resolved now so I can continue with my advice.

Your employer cannot force you to see your personal mobile phone bill, if it relates to a personal mobile phone you are using, even if it is for work purposes. Had this been a company phone then they would have the right to see the bills but not if it is your own personal one. If they wanted to access these records then they would either need your consent, or they must rely on a specific contractual term which you agreed to and which allows them to do that.

It is also important to consider the context of such a request. For example if there are allegations against you which the employer needs to investigate and they believe that these records will be helpful, whilst you cannot be forced to disclose them, you may wish to think whether it is nevertheless useful to do so in order to defend yourself. But again this is left entirely at your own discretion and you have the final say as to whether you disclose this or not – it is your own personal data and you cannot be forced to disclose it to anyone.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

Can my company get rid of me if I refuse to hand my mobile records to them.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

2 and 1/2 years

Ben Jones :

you will be protected against unfair dismissal in that case so the employer cannot just dismiss you for not providing your phone records, especially if there is no contractual obligation on you doing so. If they try and dismiss it is likely it will be an unfair dismissal, which can be challenged

Ben Jones :

Has this answered your follow up query?

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Customer:

Thanks Ben, this is now sorted for me

Ben Jones :

great, all the best