75100385

My son was working for various promotional companies and had

My son was working for various promotional companies and had an accident in a van they had hired for him he was working on the zero hours system. He had an accident in the van was picked up by the police and because he was worried wanted a solicitor before he did a breath test he has been charged with failure to produce and the company are chasing him for £30000 as the insurance is void. He never signed a contract with this company it states on the van paperwork that it was hired by the company he just has to sign the van paperwork when he picked it up. He has never signed any contract with the company he was working for. He has no money or assets what are your thoughts ?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me how long he had been doing work for this company please.

Customer: Only done 2 jobs for them about 1 week
Ben Jones :

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.

Ben Jones :

Can I just check if the employer has suffered any losses as a result, have they actually incurred £30,000 in costs/expenses as a result?

Customer: The can hire company are saying they will chase the employer for the money
Ben Jones :

ok but has that money actually been lost or incurred in some way? How did they arrive at that figure?

Customer: Because the car hire company say due to Luke losing his license then their insurance is invalid the van is right off the value of the van us £30000 the van company are chasing the promotional company for the money and the promotional company is chasing Luke my son
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Why is the insurance void? Was he not driving on their insurance policy please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what are your thoughts in this situation ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he was driving on their insurance
So if he was driving on their insurance how is he liable for the sums involved?
Are they withdrawing indemnity and if so on what basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They say because he had the accident and was picked up by the police and failed to produce that their insurance is void and so it's Luke's responsibility to pay for the value of the van
Yes but I do not understand why the insurance was void?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is just what they are saying that insurance is void because of this?
Because of the accident?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and because he has been charged with failure to produce
Ok. Did he declare that to them at all?
Was this after the accident of before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This was after the accident when the police had picked him up did you read my first question as that explained everything that happened?
Ok - so they only voided the insurance after the accident because he had failed to produce. What had he failed to produce, a breath sample?
If so, why?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes because he had some cans of beer in the van to have when he got home he had driven from Exeter to Lincolnshire was almost home when he has the accident a car cut him up so rather than going into the back if him he turned and crashed into the barrier . He rang his friend who is a mechanic who said he would pick him up and get the recovery van out next day. His friend was going to be about an hour so stupidly he sat on the side if the road with a cigarette was very shaken and drank 3 of the cans the police came and breath tested him at the side of the road his reading was 70 so they took him to police station he was shaken and scared and said he didn't want to take another without seeing a duty solicitor
So he didn't give a sample.
Why not, just because he wanted to see a Solicitor?
So let me just get this clear. He had a crash and then drank 3 cans of beer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Why on earth did he drink 3 cans after an accident? It must have been obvious the Police would want to breathalise him? Its a matter of standard procedure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know that and u you that but that is what the idiot did but he is my idiot and I love him
Was he ever charged by the Police?
If so did he plead guilty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes on both counts
Its bad news I am afraid. If he failed to provide and he was convicted in Court this means he is guilty of the offence and it would appear on this basis the insurance company are refusing to provide cover.
They are able to do this under the terms of the insurance policy. Sadly this means that the driver is liable. However he was working for a company and they are vicariously liable for actions of their employee. So the employer is liable in this case.
Therefore he needs to reply back saying that he is not personally liable as he was working for a company and any claim should be directed to them. If he was not an employee but self employed doing this work, then he is personally liable.
So it will really depend on whether he was an employee or not. If he was, he is fine and covered. If he is not, then he is liable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He didn't have a contract with people he was working for but it was hired out to them. Also he has no assets or money ?
Ok - then it sounds like he may be personally liable. If there are proceedings issued me may have to declare himself bankrupt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it best for him to declare himself bankrupt or for them to take him to court and they make him bankrupt
Let them do it, otherwise he has to pay the Court fee and pay the Official Receivers deposit if he does it himself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do we just let it take it's course
Sadly yes.
If he had not had anything to drink or not refused a sample, he could have been ok.
Can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have spoken to a reputable local solicitor who thinks he may be able to Luke legal aid and thinks it may be worth appealing on miscarriage of justice ?
He can try, but the problem is this - if he refused to give a specimen the offence that cancelled the insurance is made out.
He refused to give a sample - so sadly he can't get rid of the conviction.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But he was advised to do this by another solicitor who went to court with him it wasn't what Luke really wanted to do so if we appealed what could be the best outcome
Did he plead guilty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes because he was advised to
Ok, then you can't appeal.
If he had been convixted you could have appealed conviction and sentence. But as he pleaded guilty you can't appeal that. He must have accepted his guilt.
I am sorry, but there is nothing further you can do regarding the criminal matter
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience