13262538

Primogeniture

Customer Question

My family have used primogeniture law for 200 years passing estates through the male line. My Uncle died in 2007 with a daughter though he was given an estate because of his name through an offshoot of the family. His daughter died in 2008 leaving a son. In primogeniture law the estate would have passed to my father, who died in 2012. The estate has now been sold. Could I be due anything being the only son of my father.

When you say he was "given" the Estate do you mean it was bequeathed to him by someone?
If so were there any conditions attached to the bequest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was bequeathed to him in 1961 by an offshoot of our family - I have tried to find her Will in the National Archives but cannot find it. We are not talking about a small estate - over 1000 acres and some small farms.

Hi the concept of the entail relating to property was ended in 1925 in England and accordingly the fact that this was your families custom for the last 200 years has no relevance.
I am afraid that there is no basis on which you have a claim on the property.
I am sorry to give you bad news - please ask if you need further details