75100385

I have been renting the first floor of a commercial building

Customer Question

I have been renting the first floor of a commercial building for over 14 years without a lease, I pay money directly to my landlords bank account, I have tried to secure a lease a number of times but he never signs the heads of terms. Now he has served me 3 months notice to either stay and commit to renovating his building which is dilapidated, has dangerous electrics, water leaks, no insulation, no heating or leave! I have established a business here and paid his £1500 per month without missing a payment.
Can you let me know where i stand in terms of being evicted, should he not pay me compensation or relocate me somewhere suitable? He has now stopped paying for rubbish collections and instructed me to take my rubbish home and put it out with my domestic rubbish!
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Do you have ANY form of written contract? I understand from your question that you do not, am I correct?

JACUSTOMER-7bq8xigf- :

no contract at all...

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

If you have no lease you have a tenancy at will

Alex Watts :

This means it can be terminated at any time and for any reason.

Alex Watts :

You have no security whatsoever.

Alex Watts :

So in this case the Landlord is giving you 3 months notice.

Alex Watts :

Sadly in law you can do nothing about it - there is simply no contract

Alex Watts :

So yes you can be evicted and the Judge can't do anything about it

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

The no contract is a real issue -its a tenancy at will

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/