12826847

I have an eating disorder and for the past couple of months

Customer Question

I have an eating disorder and for the past couple of months I have been shoplifting as a result of my illness which because I am so low in weight has led to my doing things which are totally out of character. I now realise what I have been doing is so wrong and wonder if I should confess to the supermarket manager or police. I am petrified the supermarket may know and scared my employers may find out as now I am trying to get my life back on track. What shall I do?
What are you hoping to achieve by confessing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To wipe the slate clean as I have been dishonest. I also guess I hope by confessing they will be more lenient and not take it any further. I know this is unlikely.

Yes, confessing would be very dangerous.
Doing nothing is the right thing to do. It is very unlikely that they have any evidence against you now. Shoplifting is not prosecuted very potently in the uk especially not at the moment because every police officer in Christendom is busy questioning people in their dotage who tried to kiss somebody in 1962.
Just stop doing it.
It is probably a good idea not to go back to that store though in case you are identified.
If you don't do that it is very unlikely you would hear anything else about this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I understand. However I am still petrified they suspect something and will go through their CCTV records. Can they identify me by my debit card or anything else?

I have never done anything wrong before and certainly never will again. I am now going to receive help for my eating disorder.

Thanks you for your patience.

Can I add it was recently - this week.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please se reply below

It is possible that they could but they won't. If the allegation against you were that you had made a pass at somebody old enough to consent 40 years ago they would devote huge resources to tracking you down. For proper crime like this though they are too busy. It is not going to happen.
If you go back then obviously you may be identified and that may lead to a police call and an arrest but the police will not devote that amount of resources to investigation work. They are far too busy dealing with people who have waited forty years to report trivia.
This is not sarcasm above. This genuinely is what is happening. You would be forgiven for thinking there is no crime in the UK but sexual offences and these stupid unprovable drains upon our resources are sucking money and manpower from everything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - my last question.

What would happen to me if anything was followed up? Would my circumstances make any difference. I have never been in trouble before and the items were of £1.00-2.00 in value occasionally? Would my employers have to be told?

No, the police would not usually tell them unless you have a very high trust position.
It may show on CRB checking though depending on the level you are facing.