LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

good morning a question about an absurd shorthold tenancy.

Customer Question

good morning
a question about an absurd shorthold tenancy. my disabled daughter is renting a bungalow in Newcastle upon Tyne. the AST stated in July 2014. the electic shower was faulty on occupation and had to be replaced. it was smaller than the old one and needed additonal tiling. the landlord was advised but did nothing and damp went through the wall. he was advised, enterd the premises without permission and decommissioned the shower. months on he has yet to sort out the shower but is insisting on getting access during the day. my daughter works at a school for severely disabled children , the children need continuity, and she cannot get home during the day the landlord has written to her holding her responsible for any damage due to refusal to permit access something she has not done. so my question is does "reasonable" mean she had to be there in the day or can she specify a time after 5pm ?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to answer this question.

Customer:

Why can't the Landlord have acces to do the work without your daughter being there?

JACUSTOMER-vcjlxck4- : without her permission he has entered the premises on other matters. and moved some of her clothes etc around. so she wishes to be present to avoid that happening again. as he failed to sort out locks to make the premises she secure she beloved he is untrustworthy . applogises for the spellchecker typo. shoud
JACUSTOMER-vcjlxck4- : ahv
JACUSTOMER-vcjlxck4- : re typo, absurd should have rad assured!
JACUSTOMER-vcjlxck4- : when will you reply to my question?
JACUSTOMER-vcjlxck4- : I had a message saying you wanted live chat but on follwing the link I only get my unanswered questions
Customer:

I think she should let him in when she is not there to carry out the works otherwise she may well be part liable for any damage caused by the damp. There is no good reason that you have shown for not letting him in at normal times when workmen normally work.