12826847

Hi, I am a British citizen residing abroad. In Christmas 2008

Hi, I am a British citizen residing abroad. In Christmas 2008 I was arrested in the Uk, although I was not charged, and was allowed to leave the Uk to return home, I was told that I should contact the police at the same station again the next time I was in the country. I have not returned to the Uk since then, but am now planning a visit for next summer. Obviously, I am worried what may happen next, especially as should I receive a criminal record, I would be likely to unable to continue in my job abroad. How do I go about contacting a solicitor to deal with this matter? Regards
That is a rather odd decision of the police. I have never known them do that.
However, you can always just contact the police from abroad and make an arrangement to surrender voluntarily if needed. It might well be that the matter has died a death now anyway. If it isn't a sexual offence then I suspect it probably would have done so.
You can also contact a solicitor and ask them to make that call for you. In truth, unless you have an established relationship with one they may be unwilling to help. There is no legal aid for that type of work and so no means of charging. It used to be that firms were willing to do it in exchange for the prospect of getting the case but I have noticed an increased hardening to that recently.
Do not just walk through the doors of a police station. Make an appointment remotely to surrender if needed. There are lots of reasons for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Although I was arrested, I was not charged. Does this make a difference?

No, not really.
They would normally release on bail with a specified date to surrender.
It might have been that you were interviewed voluntarily but even then they would normally want a resolution of the matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there not a time bar for summary offences? What would be likely to happen if I return to the Uk for a visit and do not make contact with the police?

For summary offences it is but this may have been either way.
It will only be an issue if you come to police attention and then they may pick you up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What would I be liable for in that case?

It depends on the substantive allegation.
There wouldn't be a Bail Act offence unless you are in breach of bail which is not the case here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wish to resolve the issue but charge/caution on CRB would mean I would lose job abroad. How best to proceed?

There really isn't much point in not dealing with it. They would ultimately catch up with you.
You should really make contact with them to arrange to surrender voluntarily. It may all have disappeared into nothing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. Thanks

No problem.
All the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Final query: How do I go about finding a good firm of lawyers to make contact with the police on my behalf?

If you tell me which police station it was I could probably find some firms in that area.
In truth, unless you have an established relationship with one they may be unwilling to help. There is no legal aid for that type of work and so no means of charging. It used to be that firms were willing to do it in exchange for the prospect of getting the case but I have noticed an increased hardening to that recently.
I am happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.